Getting started in Bangalore
In this blog, we will share things you need to know to get your life started in Bangalore.
We all are emotionally attached to the city we grow up in. Be it a small village or a big metro city, our home town always has a special place in our heart. But there comes a time when you have got to move out of your comfort zone and make it big on your own. Getting started in a big city like Bangalore can be daunting especially when you don’t have many friends or people you know. In circumstances like these it is important for you to remember why you are here and what motivates you to continue your journey in your new city. If you don’t give up, sooner or later you will realise that this big crazy city will gradually become a close part of your life and you will feel like it’s your own.
Our attempt is to make this blog your go-to guide to starting your journey in Bangalore. This blog will cover some interesting and informational bits you need to know to become a little familiar with this totally unfamiliar city.
Finding your ‘Home’ in Bangalore
Bangalore has emerged as a major IT hub of India and everyone from fresh college pass outs to experienced IT professionals come to work in Bangalore. When you land in a new city your first concern is to find yourself a place to stay. A city that is so new to you, finding a place you would eventually call your home is a difficult task. In a city like Bangalore, where there are people from all over the country coming to work, finding a place isn’t a big deal but it can be overwhelming sometimes when you leave all the comforts of your home and need to set up everything from scratch.
1. When you are looking for a place, it is advisable to select a place that is closer to a bus stop and has some basic shopping areas and departmental stores nearby. Generally living standard in Bangalore is pretty high, especially the cost of living and accommodation. So beware to keep your expenses in check.
2. There are several options one can consider when looking for a place to live. Working men and women hostels, paying guest, 1BHK - 2BHK flats are readily available.
3. There are also websites where you don’t have to pay the brokerage and you can choose the place you like online and schedule a visit.
Here are a few links that can be helpful to you when you are looking for a place to stay.
Best areas to stay in Bangalore: http://www.servicesutra.com/blog/10-best-places-to-live-in-bangalore/
Flats & Flatmates: www.facebook.com/groups/FlatsandFlatmatesBangaloreChapter/
Nest away: https://www.nestaway.com/
Paying Guest: http://www.payingguestinbangalore.com/
Bangalore for the foodies
Being a metropolitan city, Bangalore has a lot to offer in terms of food. From street food to dining in fancy restaurants, Bangalore has it all. Among other things, don’t forget to try the authentic Kannad dishes. You will be surprised how much you will end up liking them. If you feel too lazy then just order in. It’s always a good idea to eat some delicious food in the comfort of your home.
1.The diversity of the cuisine available in Bangalore is reflective of the social and economic diversity of Bangalore. Roadside vendors, tea stalls, South Indian, North Indian, Mughlai, international cuisine everything is readily available.
2. Udupi restaurants, are very popular and serve predominantly vegetarian cuisine. Bangalore can also be called a foodie's paradise because of its vast varieties of foods and edibles with a touch of Bangalore's uniqueness and tradition.
3. Some of the renowned traditional Bangalore vegetarian restaurants are MTR (Mavalli Tiffin Room), Central Tiffin Room to name a few. One of the popular places in South Bangalore is Brahmin's Coffee Bar, where people go at 6:00 am after their morning walks.
4. Bangalore also has amazing fine dining and specialized restaurants that cover various cuisines of the world. The city is also known to have really good Italian and new-age continental food in places like Sunny's on Lavelle Road and Olive Beach.
5. There are various five-star restaurants in the city also that serve some very authentic and delicious food. Some of these include Blue Ginger, Raj Sheraton Windsor Manor, Zen etc.
Here are a few links that can guide you to some amazing food joints.
After a gruelling week at work with all the inductions, team meetings and tasks, the weekend has finally arrived and you just can’t wait to have some time to yourself. You want to stroll around the city taking it all in. Bangalore has lots to offer in terms of leisure activities. It is one of the best ways to intermingle with the city folk and get to know your new city better.
1. From adventure sports to beautiful parks, Bangalore has it all. You could go around the crowded shopping arcades or enjoy some solace in the gorgeous temples.
2. Bangalore caters to people of varied interests. You could also take up certain classes for art, dance, theatre, swimming etc. pertaining to your interest. There are some world class courses available in Bangalore and you could use them to hone your skills.
3. If you are interested in events then you are in luck. There are many musical events, stand-up comedy shows, classical dance shows etc. that keep happening in Bangalore and you could totally have a great time attending any of those.
4. If you want to explore more than just the city you could also travel around Bangalore over the weekend and visit close by places such as Mysore, Coorg, Waynad, Chikmagalur, Munnar, Mangalore, Pondicherry.. All just an overnight journey away.
Here are a few links that might be helpful in making your weekend simply awesome.
Travel destinations around Bangalore: https://www.trawell.in/bangalore/200kms
Outdoor Activities: https://www.thrillophilia.com/things-to-do-in-bangalore
Events Calendar https://allevents.in/bangalore
Change is always frightening and challenging but it can also be a lot of fun. It depends on you to use this opportunity to turn it in your favour and make the best of it. Give yourself enough time to actually get adjusted to your new job and your new city. But most importantly give yourself the biggest congratulations because you made it. The truth about moving somewhere new by yourself is that this “new life” will soon become “your life”, your now and your home.
We hope this blog post is useful to all the newbies in Bangalore. We welcome any reviews, comments or suggestions pertaining to this discussion.